Monday, December 1, 2008

Why an officer and a gentleman?

When setting out to write this particular blog I faced two major problems, either portraying myself in such a light as to somehow come across as being utterly insane, self centered or that I would seem a tad pedantic. However, these are not the aims of this post. Or rather I'll endeavour to not to allow them to become the aims.

Essentially what I'm trying to get across is that modern society lacks many things, namely honour and chivalrous behavior. Both old an antiquated ways of thinking one would assume and in many respects they are. But the principles and morals they represent can have a modern, and indeed relevant, application to modern society.

For example the word honour, represents a sense of high respect, esteem, adherence to what is right or to a good standard of conduct these are not only applicaple to ones self which is important but in their application to others it creates a sense of dignity and mutual respect from both parties. Sadly this human dignity and mutual respect is often lost in the fast paced modern society we live in. 

I have always toyed with the idea of honourable conduct. The many conclusions I've come up with have had many implications for me, namely that by no stretch of the imagination am I an honourable man. I hold myself by such concepts yes, or certainly I try to. Ultimately the good intentions rarely translate into deeds. Until the removal of the Royal Navy as a potential career option I would have considered that a relatively selfless act, honourable in many ways. I have also done a tremendous amount at a local level to such a point my health suffered a great deal. But I ultimately felt that what I was doing was right, and that was enough for me and I was happy.

But once a friend attributed a quote from the eminent Roman senator Cicero to me, which ultimately defines me as person - "In men of the highest character and noblest genius there is to be found an insatiable desire for honour, command, power, and glory." Initial reading of such a quotation leaves one a little critical, sceptical certainly but upon closer inspection I have always deemed it to be a criticism, unintentional on the part of my friend I imagine, but a criticism none the less. It shows that despite an illusion of intelligence and a noble character there remains a thirst for honour, command, power and of glory. These are things I unashamedly want out of life for myself, at whatever cost. So despite my facade of honour I'm not better then much of this modern society. Did not Kipling say  - "Nature left a tincture in every mans blood, that he would be a tyrant if he could.". Not a truer word may have been spoken, ultimately I am courteous, polite and mannerly in my social dealings with people. I know how to behave and what to say in the lofty circles I find myself frequenting. I know who to use and when to use them to advance personal interest, I am that person you love to hate. But know this there is a distinct possibility I also hate you... but you might also be my greatest friend, that is the fickle nature of the society we live in, and why I believe there are very few left in the world with a true sense of honour.

For clarity, I do not count myself among them.

No comments: